ARTful: using or characterized by art and skill

Salvage: to rescue or save especially from wreckage or ruin


[ARTful] Salvage was born from a love of creating, repurposing and salvaging. I simply abhor seeing perfectly "useful" items headed for the landfill or tucked away in a cardboard box, never seeing the light of day. I believe there is always beauty to be found, even under a layer of rust or a coating of dust. I see scratches, dents or imperfections as badges of honor to be worn proudly. I have a great love for the history, story and life of a piece. We lovingly dream up ways of restoring new life to these discarded and neglected fragments of life. I am glad you are here and hope you will come again often. Please make yourself at home; friends are always welcome. I'd be thrilled to hear from you and get to know you better.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Thrifting & Yard sale Jackpot!

Wow! Did we ever have a great day on Saturday out and about, enjoying the Florida sunshine! We had great thrifting and mostly yard sale finds. Here are some of my highlights:

We have been searching for a wine rack to repurpose as a guest towel holder in the bathroom.....yesterday we bought 2! So, I think this one is staying with us and the other will get repurposed into something.....stay tuned!




Some shots of the many miscellaneous glass and doodads we picked up for repurposing. We loved the decanter that came from a church thrift store marked that is was "against Federal Law to resell or reuse this container." Yes and I tear off those mattress tags too.....I'm a W-I-L-D woman. :)




This little gem will get some TLC and then become a wonderful little accessory for near the sofa holding sewing projects or the like.




You just never know what you may find at a yard sale, do you? How about this amazingly cool chain maile drawstring pouch. And yes, it was only a quarter. I was over the moon. It will probably go in Wonder Boy's Birthday pile.



The 8 yards of fabric is the perfect shade for the PINK bedroom, even though it photographed red....Geesh! I'm thinking curtain wooshy things for the top (yes that IS the technical term for them....I'm quite sure). Also, it was the day of the flower looms.....always nab them little puppies when I see them. I was thrilled to find the book of 1000 flowers too! Guess what treasures are to be found lurking in the coffee can........if you guessed buttons you win......if not.....better luck next time! 



Okay, so by now we have established that I am, well, weird, right? Okay, so there is this "When Pigs Fly" saying that just means a lot to me. I have seen this print before and really wanted one, but of course refused to pay the $40 for it......but $3 worked just great. This thing is huge, probably at least 2x3 feet. I cannot wait to find a place for this in our home......it stays with me.



One of my other faves was this "Simplify" piece. It too is bog, maybe 24 inches or so.....I think it will be going with the pig....seems to work.


These gorgeous platter will become a multi-tiered dessert serving set. I have more pieces that match and will be making a 3 piece, interchangeable set.....more on that asap. The biggest piece measures nearly 16 inches across.




 This is a very nifty old it's future after Hubs tightens up the frame.....it is a tad loose and VERY heavy.
The vessel and balls was just cool. The vessel will become a gazing ball stand for sure....the balls, well....tbd.


Loved this flatish old bottle. It will become a picture frame me thinks.....again tbd.



My uncle is having an issue obsession with the squirrel at his house in Illinois. This is just a funny for him.....but serious, a squirrel caller? Who knew.....learn something every day. Same company makes a crow caller, a coyote caller among others. Be bad If you grabbed the wrong one in certain situations....

And the award for ugliest bowling ball ever goes to.......But hey, we can fix her right up! :)


Those are some of the highlights of our weekend shipping trip......more goodies headed for the show on Saturday later today or tomorrow! Thanks for stopping by.....

3 comments:

  1. WOW Shelly...You DID have an awesome shopping day!!! The treasures you found are fantastic!!!! And I love the saying as well..."when pigs fly"...I've used it ALOT over the years!!! ;) Hilarious picture!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Shelly, I'm always amazed at the wonderful treasures you find! I can't wait to see your end projects...way fun! : )
    ~Jody

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my Shelly! You did hit the jackpot! Wow!!! The bowling ball is ugly! LOL I know you'll fix it right up. :) And I LOVE the grape bunch wine holder... I'll be keeping an eye on what you do with that. :)

    ReplyDelete